To provide the greatest service to our guests, we rely on exceptional summer staff members. Typically aged 18-23, our staff come from across the country from a variety of university and work backgrounds. Serving wholeheartedly for a summer season requires a specific set of personality traits and skills, but most importantly it requires a willingness to serve the Lord and each other, even when the hours are long and the weeks are longer.
Working as part of the Deer Valley Ranch team will not only be the adventure of a lifetime, but it is also an exceptional opportunity to develop your skills as an employee, Christian, and team member through a dynamic work environment. Living, working, and recreating with a core group of fellow Christians for three months will provide you with unparalleled levels of community and fellowship, and our year-round staff is dedicated to serving your needs and equipping you with the skills you’ll need to succeed after Deer Valley.
No matter the specific position, our ideal applicant possesses the following characteristics and traits:
- A dedicated work ethic and attention to detail
- High levels of self-awareness
- The ability to work independently as well as with a team
- Strong communication skills
- Able to manage themselves in an organized, productive, and upbeat manner
- Able to accept constructive criticism and guidance from a leader with a positive and respectful attitude
- Please note that CPR/First Aid certifications are required for all wranglers, kid’s, teen’s, and adventure program employees. Acceptable First Aid/CPR programs include Heartsaver or Heartsaver Plus CPR, Infant and Child CPR, Daycare or Babysitting CPR, Community CPR, Adult CPR or CPR for the Professional Rescuer.
The benefits of working at Deer Valley Ranch are countless and are sure to provide you with a fantastic summer experience. Staff members are able to use all of the ranch’s amenities and services, provided the guests’ use comes first. These include:
- Hot spring-fed swimming pools, hot tubs and jacuzzis
- Coffeehouse saloon – serving specialty coffees, smoothies, and snacks
- Horseback riding with our wrangling staff
- Whitewater rafting at a discounted rate
- Access to the Colorado Trail from the ranch – open for mountain biking, hiking, and horseback riding
- Fly fishing on the famed Arkansas River
- Opportunity for personal growth and spiritual development
- Mentorship and fellowship with fellow staff members
If you have any questions regarding the application process, employment expectations, or would like to speak with a staff member, please call us at (719) 395-2353 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deer Valley Ranch operates a full-service coffeehouse saloon located on the ranch premises. Applicants must have previous experience making specialty coffee drinks such as lattes, cappuccinos, etc. The baristas will also be responsible for maintaining the saloon space and surrounding pool deck areas, as well as assisting with general ranch programming and housekeeping tasks.
KIDS’S & TEEN’S PROGRAM Assistant
This position will work directly with our KID’S & TEEN’S PROGRAM Leader to plan, coordinate, and implement a variety of activities for our guests ages 4-17. Applicants should be extremely responsible and comfortable with interacting with parents and grandparents, and be able to work closely with another individual for the duration of the summer. Applicants with a background in education, youth ministry, etc. and encouraged to apply.
Deer Valley Ranch runs a full kitchen during our peak season (May to October). We serve three meals daily and are looking for high quality staff to assist in the preparation and presentation of meals. Duties include, but may not be limited to: preparing and cooking/baking food, assisting with “off-ranch” meals such as Wrangler’s Breakfasts, serving meals, operating buffets, etc. This is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to gain experience in the culinary arts, or someone who simply enjoys cooking. All Kitchen Assistants work under the direction of the Kitchen Manager.
MAINTENANCE / PROGRAM ASSISTANT
We hire a few maintenance/program assistants are hired each summer. Main responsibilities include landscaping, daily pool care, painting, trash removal, lawn care, maintenance and care of ranch vehicles, minor facility repairs and assistance with general programming activities. These staff members are critical in order to provide top-level service to our guests during their Colorado vacation. General knowledge of and experience with mowers, tools, and manual transmissions is recommended but not required.
The majority of our staff are hired for this position which rotates between dining room work, kitchen clean-up and the cleaning of ranch accommodations. These key positions ensure the various needs of our guests are met during their stay on the ranch. The Crew staff (male and female) will work together in small rotating teams to set and serve meals, assist in the kitchen, complete housekeeping tasks, and provide general programming support for ranch activities.
The western horsemanship program at Deer Valley Ranch is one of the key elements of our summer ranching season. We own and operate a herd of over 60 horses (mainly Quarter Horse types) and run a 3-level riding program (beginner, intermediate, and advanced). We offer trail rides ranging from local, one-hour rides to six-hour backcountry rides and overnight pack trips. We are seeking experienced horsemen and women who also have a passion for teaching and serving our guests in a kind, informative manner.
We are seeking a dynamic, talented tennis coach for the summer 2018 season. The applicant will be able to design and implement both recreational and instructional schedules for guests interested in tennis. A strong knowledge of tennis, the ability to convey that knowledge in an engaging, informative manner, and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment is critical. The applicant should have strong communication skills and a desire to provide an exceptional recreational opportunity for our guests.
This position will be responsible for assisting the Director of Hospitality and the Ranch Director will all office management and scheduling tasks. These may include, but are not limited to: answering phone calls, responding to general inquiry emails, assisting guests with reservations, check-ins, check-outs, and gift shop purchases, and assisting with the coordination of ranch-wide schedules. The applicant should possess strong organizational and communication skills, be proficient with Microsoft and Windows programs, and be comfortable working independently. Working to ensure our guests have a positive and streamlined experience while planning the logistics of their vacation is the end-goal for this position.
RANCH ACTIVITIES DIRECTOR
The Ranch Activities Director will be responsible for orchestrating and coordinating all ranch-wide activities. In the past, these activities have included softball games, square/line dance night, family game night, ultimate s’mores socials, etc. The applicant will have the ability to work with ranch leadership and summer staff to organize volunteers, estimate number of attendees, execute events, and work with ranch-wide schedules. Having an attention to detail, the ability to work independently, and being an engaging, outgoing worker are all critical for this position.
As a Christian family guest and adventure ranch, Deer Valley Ranch is seeking a talented, passionate worship leader for our summer worship services. This position will be responsible for planning, organizing, and leading our twice-weekly worship services. The applicant will be responsible for organizing a worship team, and scheduling/leading weekly rehearsals. Applicant should have at least three years of voice performance experience. Musical instrument talent is strongly recommended, and previous experience with leading worship services is required.
This position is for a dynamic seasonal chef who will be responsible for designing and preparing three meals daily, training and directing a small team of Kitchen Assistants, and operating our full industrial kitchen. The applicant should be comfortable working in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment, have a desire to provide an exceptional dining experience for our guests, and be proficient in all food ordering and cost management processes. The position will run from late April to late September 2018 with room and board provided. The Head Chef will work under the management of the President of Deer Valley Ranch. The applicant is required to have at least three years of culinary experience.
If after reviewing the requirements and benefits materials you still feel that Deer Valley Ranch is a good fit, please familiarize yourself with the following application process:
- Fill out the application – Use the online Application, or print the application, fill it out then mail back. Once we receive your application, we will respond with a carefully worded email that says something to the effect of “Yo, we got your application” or “Your messenger pigeon arrived safely, with your application carefully clutched in it’s claws.”
- After feeding then releasing the pigeon, the whole team will gather in the conference room where we will review your application like a piece of fine art, pondering in silence, looking at it from different angles, all while saying things like “hmm, interesting,” “how does it speak to you?” or “Brilliant.” One of our team members will then call or email you to setup a live video interview on Skype or Facetime. This will be a panel interview, consisting of 2-3 members of the DVR team.
- After the live interview please submit a brief video (under five minutes) that addresses the following questions:
- Talk about a time when you struggled to accept constructive criticism.
- You are hired at a public company and offered one of three benefits, which one do you choose: stock options in the company, a one year bonus of 25,000 or a shoutout in the company magazine and a 15% raise on your income?
- How do you feel working at DVR would prepare you for future jobs or leadership opportunities?
- Where do you think the ministry at DVR is headed in the next 5 years?
At this point, our team will reconvene in the conference room to decide your fate. If right now you are picturing a roman emperor in a colosseum giving a thumbs up or thumbs down, that is EXACTLY what this process looks like.
That’s it! If you choose to accept this mission (and we really hope you do), let us know as soon as possible so we can start the onboarding process. It may seem obvious, but reusing the messenger pigeon may not be the fastest way to accomplish this…
Please note that cell phone submissions are 100% acceptable! Just make sure the audio is clear and the picture isn’t too dark. After filming, you can submit the video in a direct message to the Deer Valley Ranch Facebook page “ http://m.me/deervalleyranchcolorado ”, or email the link to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below are links to the 2018 Application.
2018 Staff Application (PDF)
Deer Valley Ranch ~ 16825 CR 162 ~ Nathrop, CO 81236 ~ email@example.com